This week’s Items of Interest:
- The annual Travelwest Awards recognise achievements in sustainable travel. The ceremony takes place at St George’s on Wednesday 2 November. Nominations close this Friday, 16 September; more here.
- Bristol Pound will be celebrating their fourth birthday at the Make Sunday Special event outside St Nicholas Market on Sunday 18 September (11am – 4.30pm). The first 50 people to sign up for an account at the Bristol Pound stall will get £B10 for free; find out more here.
- Smart factories, digital fabrication technologies, new materials and changes in distribution networks are radically re-shaping who makes what, where and how. An event entitled We Can Make on Thursday 22 September (6pm – 8pm) at Filwood Green Business Park, Filwood Park Lane (off Hengrove Way) BS4 1ET brings together leading manufacturers, decision makers, thinkers, makers and artists to share new research and ideas. Find out more here.
- Musicians on the Run – twenty venues; twenty bands and musicians – are back in Bedminster on Thursday 22 September (7pm – 10pm); more here.
- The Architecture Centre, near the Arnolfini on Narrow Quay BS1 4QA, is celebrating its 20th anniversary with a series of events on the weekend of Friday 23 to Sunday 25 September; find out more here.
- YENA’s Showcase 2016 event takes place on Wednesday 28 September (6.30pm – 9pm) at Bath Road Studios, 470 Bath Road BS4 3HG. A chance to hear inspirational speakers, network with fellow entrepreneurs and input into YENA’s plans for the next year; book here.
- Discretionary Business Rates Relief for retail premises such as shops and cafes with a rateable value of £50,000 or less, (subject to State Aid limits) was available up until 31 March 2016. If your property is eligible, and if you haven’t already done so, the cut-off date for applying for this relief is Friday 30 September. Find out more here.
- In anticipation of the busy festive period a jobs fair specifically tailored for the local catering sector takes place at The Bristol Hotel, Prince Street, BS1 4QF on Monday 3 October (10.30am – 1.30pm); if you’re in this sector and looking to recruit in the run up to Christmas see the attached flyer and/or contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note places are free but there are a limited number of them.
- Bristol Bazaar, a market and pop up shop project run by the makers themselves for local independents and creatives, is recruiting for its Christmas Pop-up at The Island, Bridewell Street BS1 2LE.The deadline for applications is Monday 17 October; more details here.
- The Council’s latest quarterly economic briefing can be found here. In the year to July 2016 there were about 3,500 new business starts in Bristol, including nearly 330 retail starts.
- If you’re a local business covering the St Paul’s, St Werburgh’s and Montpelier areas you may be interested in community magazine Vocalise which is putting together a business directory on its website.
- The Skills Funding Agency wants to understand how the process of recruiting apprentices can be made easier for employers. As part of its research, a survey is being conducted, which should take no more than 5 minutes; click here.
Economic Development Project Officer
Bristol City Council – Place
T: 0117 922 3546